Travel in Mexico: Essential Information
We have put together the information you need for when you travel in Mexico, from details of mandatory documents such as the Forma Migratoria Multiple Mexican tourist card to popular destinations for you to visit while traveling in Mexico. If you’re traveling to Mexico with pets there are multiple requirements you should be aware of which we have detailed in the article below. If you would like any more information we are always happy to help, just get in touch via email or take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page where we answer the most popular questions people have when they travel in Mexico.
Mexican tourist card:
- Not all Mexican Insurance Companies will tell you about the Mexican tourist card, known as Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM). When traveling in Mexico some visitors require a FMM and they can be obtained at the border crossing.
- As well as Auto Insurance for Mexico, you should call your US medical provider to find out exactly what they will and will not cover while you travel in Mexico.
Traveling in Mexico with pets:
- If you have the right documents then traveling with your furry friends is relatively easy. You need an International Certificate of Good Health issued by a licensed veterinarian who has examined your pet. You will also need a Proof of Vaccination against rabies and distemper, administered at least 15 days before your pet travels to Mexico.
- We recommend you bring proof of ownership. Keep it with your Mexican auto insurance documents.
- Upon returning to the US, if you have the correct documents and the US border guards don’t suspect your pet of being ill, there is unlikely to be any need to quarantine your pet before crossing the border.
Popular destinations and activities:
- Just minutes from San Diego, Baja California is the ideal location for a break. With towns like Tijuana, Rosarito and Ensenada, there’s plenty to see and do. And once you have your Mexican Auto insurance to travel in Mexico, there’s nothing stopping you!
- The wine country of Guadalupe Valley offers beautiful vineyards and has been described as “what Napa looked like 20 years ago”. When you’re traveling in Mexico it is an absolute MUST to stay in one of the rustic ranches and sample award winning wines.
- Baja offers fabulous nature experiences, including some of the best bird watching and great fishing spots. Most spectacular of all are the whales. Baja provides some of the best opportunities to spot grey whales while they migrate from the cold northern waters of Alaska to the warmer climes of Mexico.
- Baja has some fantastic golfing destinations. Whether you want a short break or something much longer, you’ll find what you’re looking for in Baja.
- For the more adventurous of you, there are plenty of great sporty activities to get involved in. Sea kayaking on the azure waters surrounding the land, scuba diving in a unique paradise suitable for beginners and pros, plus some of the best wave hunting for surfers of anywhere along the Pacific coast.